When you use the Open Author tool to create an educational resource, you are able to import materials that you had previously created in Google Docs. Google Docs is a free web-based application in which documents and spreadsheets can be created, edited and stored online.
We recommend using the Google Doc Import feature rather than adding a URL link to your Google Doc within an Open Author resource for a few different reasons:
- This feature makes it easy for educators to share resources they've built in Google Docs in a remixable format, with the added value of Open Author's powerful version tracking.
- You needn't worry about the permissions associated with your Google Doc.
Note: You must have a Google account to import documents from Google Docs.
Import your Doc
Once you have started Open Author, you can import a resource from Google Docs.
- If you already have content in your Open Author resource you would like to keep, click the Add New Unit link, to the left of the editing window. If you do not click the Add New Unit link, the import will overwrite your existing content. You will not be able to use the "Undo" button to revert this change. If you are starting from a blank document, there is no need to click the Add New Unit link.
- Click the Import From Google Docs link.
- Click the Allow button to allow Open Space to retrieve documents from your Google account. Open Space cannot access all of your documents - you specify only the ones that you allow Open Space to import.
a. Scroll through the list to find the document you would like to import.
b. Click to select the document.
c. Click the Select button.
The content of your document is imported into the text field where you can edit the resource directly in the Open Author tool. It is recommended that you save and preview the resource once you have imported your document. Some formatting options are not supported and you may want to change the formatting for the best presentation in the platform.
If your document does not import, or some formatting is incorrect via import, you can try to copy and paste into the editing window. In certain cases this may be a better option to transfer content to Open Author.
Note that some Ad Blocker browser extensions may interfere with your ability to connect to Google Drive.